Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Mont Saint Michel

Wednesday's adventure took us a few hours west to Mont Saint Michel. This sixth century abbey built on an island is unlike anything I've ever experienced!
 Mont Saint Michel has some of the world's most extreme tides. When we arrived around lunch time, we took advantage of the low tide and walked around the island.  The mud flats are known for their quick sand. We soon found out you needed to be careful where you stepped, or your foot would easily sink.

 Camden and Emma climbing on the rocks with the abbey rising above them

 If we were unsure how high the tide would come in, this boat was here for a reason!
 Walking into the medieval town at the base of the island. The number of people jammed into this tiny street was a bit much, but the steamed mussels we found on our lunch stop was worth it. :)
 We made it to the abbey...
Here is the view back to the main land
 The tide is coming in and had made some rivers out on the mud flats.  We were entertained watching a few groups of people make their way across these rivers.  I guess they didn't read all the warning signs posted...
 Emma in the abbey cloisters 
 Camden being Camden
 Chris, Camden, Steve, & Emma 
 I think I'll leave these statues here :)
 Our terrific travel group
 Au revoir, Mont Saint Michel!

No comments: